Sunday 27 July 2014

With Just a Hint of Nostalgia: Peter Jackson's The Frighteners (1996)


I might have mentioned it before, but my older brother has always had a huge influence on me when it comes to films and series and it's somewhat of a miracle if I happen to watch something before he has seen it- or an even greater miracle if I have seen a film he has never heard of (I celebrated my first win this weekend-go figure). We used to spend many sunday afternoons watching the Lord of the Rings extras, back in I don't even kow when, and it just continued from there.

However, the Lord of the Rings was not the only Peter Jackson creation my brother introduced me to. I remember watching Heavenly Creatures one day on TV because my brother wanted to see it- it being a Peter Jackson creation and all. It mostly confused me, and I only found out a few days ago he was nominated for an Aacademy Award for it, which prompted the thought of a rewatch. Then there was King Kong, which I was not that impressed by, and the Lovely Bones, which I have not seen till this day.

The Frighteners is a different story. Every time this film came on TV my brother forced our family to watch it, and it took me a long time to actually embrace the movie. It's probably one of Jackson's less known works and the reviews I've read weren't that optimistic, but I think I've seen it almost as often as I've seen The Return of the King. Mostly by force however, because this film used to terrify me when I was little. It stars Michael J. Fox as some kind of ghostbuster who goes after this creepy-ass phantom that is on a killing spree, marking its victims by carving numbers into their foreheads. The killer-ghost seems to travel inside of walls and ugh, I still find it very creepy.

I've really grown to love the film though, when I rewatched it a few years ago. Old enough to actually focus on the film and get what it's about, I was still a tiny bit scared, but mostly entertained. I mean, this film has some really great elements. Firstly, it has Michael J. Fox, who is awesome. I used to dislike him because I disliked Back to the Future - because I always found Doc sooo fucking annoying and still do secretly - but again rewatching those films changed my perspective. Secondly, the film mixes creepiness with comedy, which always works to be honest. I am not a fan of full-blown horror films and this is a nice alternative. It's originality as a film is mostly the result of this mix of humour and horror which Jackson plays with, sending the film in all kinds of different directions. It does make the film a bit messy and the two emotions might not mix that well, but it's different, and I kinda like it.

I have my brother's special edition director's cut of the film laying around here, which includes a documentary on how the film was made. I'm curious to see some behind-the-scenes stuff that is not from the Lord of the Rings but from a more down to earth, easy-going film that doesn't take itself too seriously, which is exactly what viewers shouldn't do either.

Needless to say, I will be watching the film again, not only to keep the cycle going but mostly because I like it. And this was my attempt to try to make others give it a go too, IF THEY DARE. Uhum, so yeah, watch the film.

Oh, and look for Peter's camio. It's beautiful, as always.








No comments:

Post a Comment